I am looking for help with how to set up a device for use with the new MS SQL
ODBC Database Monitor ZenPack.

Is there a way to test ODBC connectivity to a MS SQL Server, Sybase or MySQL
via command line on the Zenoss server?

Installed the FreeTDS ODBC Driver

odbcinst.ini
::::::::::::::
[PostgreSQL]
Description             = ODBC for PostgreSQL
Driver          = /usr/lib/libodbcpsql.so
Setup           = /usr/lib/libodbcpsqlS.so
FileUsage               = 1

[FreeTDS]
Description             = FreeTDS unixODBC Driver
Driver          = /usr/lib64/libtdsodbc.so.0
Setup           = /usr/lib64/libtdsodbc.so.0
UsageCount              = 1

[SQL Server]
Description             = FreeTDS unixODBC Driver
Driver          = /usr/lib64/libtdsodbc.so.0
Setup           = /usr/lib64/libtdsodbc.so.0
UsageCount              = 1

Question -> regarding the [SQL Server] label listed in the /etc/odbcinst.ini
file, should there be a space between SQL and Server?
Installed the MS SQL ODBC Database Monitor ZenPack and all required ZenPacks.

1.      ZenPacks.community.deviceAdvDetail
2.      ZenPacks.community.RDBMS provides community.snmp.DatabaseMap
3.      ZenPacks.community.ZenODBC provides community.odbc.OdbcPlugin
4.      ZenPacks.community.MsSQLMon_ODBC  provides MsSql80Database (MS SQL
2000) and MsSql90Database (MS SQL 2005) templates and a
community.odbc.MsSqlDatabaseMap zCollectorPlugin

Added the following templates to the device which is running MS SQL Server on
it.

Device
Device_WMI_SNMP_v2
MsSql90Database
Perfmon
SQLServer

I am using the community.odbc.MsSqlDatabaseMap Collection Plugin.

The following zProperties are populated with an ID that authenticates to the MS
database. I tested the SQL authentication on the SQL Server.

# zWinUser - username
# zWinPassword - password
#zMsSqlConnectionString is set to "Driver={FreeTDS};TDS_Version=8.0;PORT=1433"
# zSQLInstance = SQLSERVER

Question -> How is the zSQLInstance property used?

When I model the device, I get the following WARNING ...

2009-09-03 10:59:20     WARNING         zen.ZenModeler  The plugin
community.odbc.MsSqlDatabaseMap returned no results.

The performance graphs are not populating for Database Files Size or Database
Used Space.

How can I tell if the queries are working?

Does isql work to test this? If so what do I need to run on the command line to
test with?

Any assistance that you can provide would be appreciated.

- Ken

Read this topic online here:
http://forums.zenoss.com/viewtopic.php?p=38888#38888