Greetings from Zenoss,

We are pleased to announce the start of the beta-testing cycle for the next
major release of Zenoss, 2.5 (aka “King Crab”). The beta is not ready for
production and is not recommended for new users. Your participation is an
invaluable part of the Zenoss software development process. It is your feedback
that helps us continue developing high-quality releases. On behalf of the
entire Zenoss team, we thank you for your time and efforts.

While there are over 400 tickets closed against the “King Crab” release so
far, the most visibly apparent new feature is the new Event Console. The Event
Console has been completely rewritten and integrates saved event views,
filtering, details and logging in a more unified experience. There have been
numerous other improvements to the underlying libraries, SSH-based monitoring,
reliability and scalability and to our documentation that need testing as well.

SUGGESTED NEW TEST CASES
Below is an outline of suggested use cases that test the major areas of new
functionality. Please attempt to run through as many of these areas as
possible. The other major objective of this beta program is to ensure the
product has been exposed to real customer environments. You are strongly
encouraged to test and exercise any part of the product in a similar manner to
your production installation. If you have access to Internet Explorer 8 and/or
FireFox 3.5, please help us test our compatibility with these browsers as we
add support for them.

INSTALLATION AND UPGRADE

   1. Please go to http://www.zenoss.com/beta/2.5/ to get started with your
download.
   2. Install a fresh installation of Zenoss on your platform using your
preferred installation distribution. At this point we have the Red Hat
Enterprise Linux and CentOS RPMs available for download, other installers will
be available shortly.
   3. Upgrades from earlier versions are currently broken, please do not test
the Zenoss upgrade functionality.
   4. The upgrade between the 2.5 beta to the 2.5 release will not be
officially supported, and we will not be testing it.

GENERAL USAGE

   1. Monitor a set of devices that represent your current production
installation.
   2. Set monitoring thresholds that are representative of your current
production installation.
   3. Configure events in a similar manner to your production environment.
   4. Browse dashboard, event console, device list, network map and reports.
Verify the necessary information is presented.
   5. Configure alerts in a similar manner to your production environment.
Verify alerts are sent and contain the expected information.

OPEN ENDED QUESTIONS

   1. Did you encounter any errors that caused Zenoss to stop working? If so,
please describe.
   2. Did the user interface show unexpected exceptions or cryptic error pages?
If so, please describe.
   3. Do the new Event Console capabilities work as expected? Did you encounter
any errors? If so, please describe.
   4. Have you found any behavior that you believe is a regression from
previous Zenoss versions?
   5. Do you have any additional comments or feedback on this beta version?

There is a forum for discussing issues with the beta that is called
“zenoss-testing” and available at http://forums.zenoss.com. If you are
interested we can provide Trac accounts or you can use the “zenoss” account
to open defects. If you have any questions about anything beta-related please
post on the zenoss-testing forum. Future updates to the beta will be discussed
in the zenoss-testing forum as well.

Thank you again for participating in the Zenoss 2.5 Beta program.

Thanks,
Matt Ray
Zenoss Community Manager

Read this topic online here: