Hi,

My Python bindings have support for zmq_poll now:

http://github.com/ellisonbg/pyzmq/blob/master/zmq/_zmq.pyx#L436

This handles both 0MQ sockets as well as any Python object that has a fileno()
function (sockets, files, etc.)

Currently, the interface is similar to the underlying zmq_poll
function.  I am thinking about
providing a slightly different interface that would be more familiar
to Python devs and wanted
to get feedback.

The most familiar interfaces for non-blocking IO are select and poll.
Python comes with
an implementation of both of these things (OS dependent of course).
This is described here:

http://docs.python.org/library/select.html

I am thinking of wrapping my currently version of poll into two higher
level functions that
mimic Python's builtin select and poll interfaces:

* I would write a zmq.select function that has the same interface as
the built-in select.select but
calls zmq_poll underneath.

* I would create a simple Python object (Poller) that has the same
interface as the built-in select.poll.

This would give Python devs the same exact interfaces they have with
regular sockets.  What do
people think about this?  My only hesitancy is that this is a
departure from the 0MQ zmq_poll
interface, so 0MQ devs coming from C/Java, etc will find the interface
quite different.
I could also provide all 3 interfaces and give the dev a choice.

Cheers,

Brian

--
Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.