I traced the application to the point where it calls getaddrinfo which is
failing on my linux machine. It's returning 1, with the error:

Name or service not known

I boiled down everything to: (copied straight from ip.cpp)

int main( int argc, char *argv[] )
{
    addrinfo req;
    memset (&req, 0, sizeof (req));

    req.ai_family = AF_INET;

    req.ai_socktype = SOCK_STREAM;
    req.ai_flags = AI_NUMERICSERV | AI_ADDRCONFIG;
    addrinfo *res;
    int rc = getaddrinfo ( "127.0.0.1", "5555", &req, &res);

    if (rc) {
        cout << gai_strerror( rc ) << endl; // returns --> Name or service
not known
    }

    return 0;
}

I've tried ifconfig down / up, rebooting, to no avail. Would very much
appreciate any further advice, although it's obviously not a zmq issue.

Regards,
-Matt