On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:01:24AM +0200, Martin Sustrik wrote:
> Yes. This can be achieved in two ways:
>
> 1. On top of 0MQ. Each client simply chooses a random server to connect to.

But I didn't think the 0MQ API provided a way for the application to detect
whether its chosen endpoint is reachable or not, and hence move to a
different server.  Or have I missed something?

> 2. Using a shared queue. All clients connect to the queue. All
> servers connect to the queue. Queue manages fair load-balancing of
> client requests among the servers.

Sure - or a TCP load-balancer, if your server nodes are located near to each
other.

Having clients be able to failover to a secondary data centre, or load
balance across two data centres, is still desirable.

Regards,

Brian.