On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Brian Candler <b.cand...@pobox.com> wrote:

> If such a protocol existed, it would be tempting to run it directly on the
> wire instead of 0MQ.  Or, the local protocol could work differently (e.g.
> synchronous polling for pulling newly-arrived messages out of the daemon,
> rather than having them arrive asynchronously)

Yes, that's my idea.  We did this in OpenAMQ's WireAPI, and it allows
communications to run at full speed independently of the application
(which in this case is the language system).

> The main purpose of the daemon would then be to establish pools of
> connections, and round-robin message delivery.  (I'd also like to see it
> implement efficient persistent local queues, but that's new functionality)

Sure.  Once we have a basic daemon we could enhance it.  It could keep
the 0MQ API or something very close to it.

Martin, what do you think of this approach?

-Pieter