On 5/12/10, Serge Aleynikov <se...@aleynikov.org> wrote:
> Hi Dhammika,
>
>  This was indeed my starting point ;-)

Cool!

>  After taking a quick look at the driver code I saw a rather big stumbling
> block there that there was a direct call to zmq_recv which would potentially
> block the Erlang VM (that is especially dangerous if Erlang is running with
> no SMP support).  So there are two solutions to this - implement
> asynchronous invocation of zmq_poll in a separate thread controlled by the
> driver, and signaling event completion to the driver or doing it the
> "proper" way of registering 0MQ's file descriptors with Erlang VM, so that
> its event loop would be responsible for event activity detection.

I'm still learning Erlang, probably have made some newbie mistakes.
My understanding is that Erlang VM spawns a native thread on each CPU
core, and schedules multiple "Erlang processes" on each native thread.
Even on SMP VMs, a blocking system call will make the driver
non-responsive to other Erlang events.

>  I am not much familiar with 0MQ's internals yet, so I don't know if the
> first approach of running zmq_poll in a thread is feasible at all, because
> Erlang has a pool of managed threads, and is free to assign this
> asynchronous operation (that would call zmq_poll) to any one thread in the
> pool.  I saw some checking done inside zmq_poll to ensure that 0MQ sockets
> belong to a particular application thread, which may not work in case of a
> thread pool managed externally since the call would happen in context of
> different threads.

Yes, it has to be on the same thread.
I don't know if polling will work here, internal socket is mostly used
for "signaling" IO events. I think a callback would be better, makes
it much easier to add hooks to existing polling APIs.