Hi,

Brian Granger suggested that I contact the list about the following.

I am interested in compiling and using py0mq on Windows XP.

I followed the straightforward directions at
http://www.zeromq.org/bindings:python#toc6

In particular, I used MS Visual Studio 2008 to build libzmq.dll .
I then edited the python setup.cfg to point to the appropriate
directories and built and installed the pyzmq package using the
mingw32-gcc compiler.

Everything looks fine and I now have a zmq directory in
python's site-packages directory with three items:
__init__.py
_zmq.pyd
tests (directory)

However, when I try to import the package, I get

=====

>>> import zmq
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
 File "D:\Python26\lib\site-packages\zmq\__init__.py", line 26, in
<module>
   from zmq import _zmq

=====

I have confirmed that the zmq directory is in my sys.path.

I have tried this in both Python 2.5.4 and Python 2.6.5

Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Could there be an issue with me compiling the zmq.dll with Visual
studio and then creating the python extension with the mingw32-gcc
compiler? (Although when I try 'python setup.py build
--compiler=msvc', I get an error 'Python was built with Visual
Studio 2003; extensions must be built with a compiler than can
generate compatible binaries.')

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,
Brad