Here's one argument against this:

If you forward a malformed stream to an XREP you have a design flaw, and you should fix it. Proper input checking should be done.

Making the traffic disappear without any indication will make error detection and correction much more difficult, especially when dealing with these exotic socket types.

If you do decide to implement the non-strict form, it is still an error IMO and should return an error indication, even if it does not cause massive destruction within the environment.

Thanks,

Best,
Matt