Honestly? I spent too much time being stuck.
I ended up on some crappy tutorial that said to type
"git-format-patch", when of course it was "git format-patch". I got
stuck on that until I trial-and-error'd.
I didn't find one good tutorial that did specifically what you wanted.
Baby steps would be nice even if only links.
To be honest, I cheated in the .patch file, it didn't have my name and
email originally, I added it manually.
I still don't really know what I did, and why.
(e.g. it'd be nice to know why it's more convenient or preferable for
you to have .patch files instead of e.g. having them automatically
generated on your side)
Just more explanation of your preferred process.