I used to work with the author and can say that RakNet is pretty damned nice
and he's quite clever.  I'll just point out that RakNet previously did not
scale as nicely as you would hope for, but it is definitely closer than
most.  I've not looked at it in quite a while though, so maybe he's fixed
the scalability issues.

KB