cpa...@gmail.com said:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Martin Lucina <m...@kotelna.sk> wrote:
> > cpa...@gmail.com said:
> >> Folks;
> >>
> >> I realize that I'm dealing with an edge case here, CentOS 4 is long in
> >> the tooth to say the least, but that's the environment we're stuck
> >> with for the moment at my work place.
> >>
> >> I get this identical error when building from Git or tarball, I also
> >> upgraded autoconf, automake, libtool and m4 to the latest to get the
> >> Git autogen.sh script to actually generate a configure that would run.
> >
> > Looks like DSO symbol visibility on CentOS/RHEL 4 is hopelessly broken :-(
> >
> > What is your GCC version?
> >
> > -mato
> >

> 3.4.6
> ---
> [14:49][cpa...@box42-182:~/src/zeromq2(master)]$ gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.4.6/specs
> Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
> --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix
> --disable-checking --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit
> --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-java-awt=gtk
> --host=x86_64-redhat-linux
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-11)
> [14:49][cpa...@box42-182:~/src/zeromq2(master)]$

Ok, that's bizarre. GCC 3.x definitely does not support symbol visibility,
so that shouldn't be a problem, but it is what it looks like.

Could you send the output of:

nm -D src/.libs/libzmq.so.1

and/or

readelf --use-dynamic --syms src/.libs/libzmq.so.1

plus also the contents of config.log?

All of that might be a bit much to spam the mailing list with; you can
email the files to me and Mikko Koppanen privately if you like.

Thanks,

-mato