(OK - I did a little googling before opening my mouth and saw some
discussion about this prior)

I guess I'm starting with the assumption that tracking the latest
version of openpgm is a "good idea". I have zero experience with it,
so that may be naive (and wrong!).

Regardless can someone comment on the following build ideas:

1) doing a full build / install in the openpgm tree and then using
libpgm-pic.a or libpgm.a if static linking is faster.

This would seem to get a lot of the cross project dependencies out. Is
there a problem with this approach (again, I'm new around here!)?

For instance, having to add the "extra source files" for the latest
version in the zeromq Makefile.am makes me think I'm doing it wrong!
:)

2) If we want to support more platforms and link directly, maybe rip
out the "good stuff" from the OS specific SConstruct.* files in
openpgm, and put them somewhere in the zeromq tree in an autotools
friendly manner, so it would keep them from interfering with each
other, and it would make tracking the openpgm folks easier.

-Scott