I need to upgrade a flotilla of internal testing machines (and virtual
machines) running Ubuntu 10.10 to ZeroMQ 2.1.6, having to do it from source.

Trouble is that they don't have compilers on them, is there some way to
easily generate some kind of remote installation bundle or package from
the source tree? Or do I need to look at building my own dpkgs (a notion
which fills me with fear and dread)?

I'm probably just going to copy the libraries and headers over to all of
the machines, for now, but is there maybe a make install host=X option
that would install to a remote-host destination?

- Oliver