On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Martin Sustrik <sust...@250bpm.com> wrote:

> The context options are a different issue. They are completely
> orthogonal to what the default for HWM should be. Let's discuss them in
> a separate thread.

Not to hijack the thread, but the first step would be to fix the
context API to make options possible at all, then we can discuss what
options make sense.

> Sorry, no experience, however, when publisher is publishing faster than
> receiver is receiving the size of the queue grows without limit. In such
> case no tuning is going to help.

For pub-sub, the goal afaics is fastest possible detection of slow
consumers, so they can be fixed. This means fairly aggressive HWMs,
fairly loud noises when they're reached, and possibly drastic action
such as cutting off the consumer.

For other patterns, HWMs play different roles. So any context defaults
would probably need to be per-pattern.

-Pieter