I think we talking almost about the same thing here.  As I said previously, I
made a small prototype which behave quite nicely for what I test.  It has both
a timeout that it propagates down the stream, and also propagate an end message
upstream after it consider everything is finish.  I used only XREP/XREQ sockets
for this but that's only because that's the only way I know to access
individual downstream connection.

It is still in early stage and probably can be better done.  It's the first
time I used a ROUTER/ROUTER device out of an LRU queue, so I've certainly
overseen some issues, especially in regards to message queues on timeout/error.
 But the code is here:
http://www.tzone.org/~fabien/hg/collector/

Fabien