I was just about to ask about this very thing: durability and identity
should be two different things, and it seems that at present they are tied
together. I could care less about durability, and agree that it should be
built on top of the core, but I think explicit identity is nice to have.
It's easier for me to use explicit naming for peers rather than having to
pass a message through a router, extract the default assigned UUID and send
it back just to figure it out.

So are you saying you are getting rid of durability AND identity, or just
durability? It would be nice to keep identity, but if it is scrapped, it
would be nice to have an API call to get the default generated UUID.
Suggestion would be to have zmq_getsockopt(socket, ZMQ_IDENTITY, ...) return
it. It does not seem to provide this for default generated UUIDs.

-- Mike