> Try the attached C version of those scripts to help narrow down where the
> problem is.  I have only tested the code on Linux, but it should be simple
> compile it on Windows.

I don't have a Windows system handy (sorry, I am at a conference all week)
but I tried reproducing this on a Mac. Here's what I found:

Running zmq 2.1.7 and the Neopallium lua-zmq, on OSX 10.7, it still breaks,
but at least I get an error this time:

Too many open files
rc == 0 (mailbox.cpp:375)
Abort trap: 6

If I remove the outer loop and just run it for 50 sockets, then I get this:

Assertion failed: nbytes == sizeof (command_t) (mailbox.cpp:194)
Abort trap: 6

(but weirdly, it seems to actually work, it just prints that out afterward).

Here's the great part: I get the exact same results running the C version
that Robert Jakabosky posted. That pretty well narrows it down to a ZMQ
issue rather than a lua-zmq issue, and we even have a line number now. Cool!