On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Pieter Hintjens <p...@imatix.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Yi Ding <yi.s.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Would it be difficult to implement in the ZeroMQ framework?  I'm
>> willing to give it a shot if it doesn't clash with the fundamental
>> design.  This is pretty useful, especially in the finance industry,
>> where "cancel on disconnect" has become a necessity.
>
> I'd use heartbeating. Some network errors won't show up as
> disconnections and you need heartbeating in any case.
>
> -Pieter

I'm going to have heartbeating as well, but it would also be nice to
have a disconnect notification.  The reason is that to keep network
traffic down, heartbeating has to be done on a relatively long time
horizon (I'm thinking 60 seconds apart) and in financial markets, a
lot can happen over the period of a second or two.