I think zmq should maintain a single, consistent, opinion on concurrency.

In a typical application right now, one federates messages to multiple
[worker] threads using an inproc device.

It might be slightly more work than a simple synchronized queue, but
otoh you're using zmq for a reason - typically to avoid locks, scale
easily and to keep things simple.

I quite enjoy this model, and it encourages sound reasoning about concurrency.

I might misunderstand, but it seems counterproductive to add a
separate mode of operation where a zeromq socket is "thread-safe by
default", and have it only be distinguishable by a flag.

If anything, it would be beneficial to actively *prohibit* access to
sockets from "other" threads to enforce safety.

Just my thoughts...