Al,

I apologize since this is probably more an autotool/gcc issue rather
then anything with zmq but I am hoping somebody run into similar
troubles and might offer some help.

I am trying to compile zmq on a new box: Windows 7, Cygwin 1.7, gcc
(GCC) 4.5.3 and I get errors with the visibility attribute:

$ make  all-am
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/me/Software/Zmq/src'
   CXX    libzmq_la-address.lo
cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
address.cpp: In constructor 'zmq::address_t::address_t(const
std::string&, const std::string&)':
address.cpp:34:1: error: visibility attribute not supported in this
configuration; ignored
address.cpp: At global scope:
address.cpp:52:1: error: visibility attribute not supported in this
configuration; ignored
address.cpp:52:1: error: visibility attribute not supported in this
configuration; ignored
Makefile:612: recipe for target `libzmq_la-address.lo' failed

I was trying to set CPPFLAGS=-march=native -fvisibility=hidden in my
environment so the Makefile(s) end up with
CPPFLAGS = -pedantic -Werror -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT
-D_THREAD_SAFE -march=native -fvisibility=hidden -DZMQ_FORCE_SELECT
but compilation still fails with the dame error.
Does anybody have some suggestions here?

Thank you very much,
-- Bernd