I am also dealing with a file-sending case and want to avoid sending at read
speed for the same reasons. I've decided to use the credits-based flow control
approach Pieter suggested. For pub/sub, you really only need one subscriber
sending credits, but the nice thing about the approach is that it can be used
for either fastest subscriber or slowest subscriber flows depending on how you
organize sending the credits.