On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM, Stefan de Konink <ste...@konink.de> wrote:

> No, the publisher is at a static (public) IP adress, none of the
> subscribers either on ZeroMQ2 nor ZeroMQ3 were succesful reconnected
> after reboot. One subscriber even reported: "I see it is still waiting
> for data." While at our side netstat reported no incomming connections
> at all.
>
> It is probably good to mention that the system is firewalled, and the
> specific incomming connections are explicitly allowed to connected by
> their external IP.

I suspect the firewall is behaving differently on a server shutdown
(which closes the socket cleanly) and a reboot (which does not).

If the firewall doesn't cut the connection, the subscriber won't reconnect.

As Kevin points out, you can use heartbeats to discover this at the
subscriber side, and force a reconnect no matter what the firewall
state.

Alternatively you may find a way to fix this in the firewall.

-Pieter