So the 3.1 release is problematic, it uses the old wire protocol but does
subscription upstreaming. The strategy we're using now can't recognize this
mix. If anyone wants to take a look at the protocol and see if there's a
solution...

I think we may have to consider 3.1 as an incompatible version. It should
not have been released as stable with this incompatibility.

Pieter