On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM, KIU Shueng Chuan <nixch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there was some effort from 2.2 to 3.2 to give ZMQ a more similar
> interface to regular sockets?
> e.g. Changing the send function to return the number bytes sent on success
> instead of 0.

This was Martin Sustrik's vision of 0MQ: "Instead of inventing new
APIs and complex wire protocols, 0MQ extends the socket API,
eliminating the learning curve and allowing a network programmer to
master it in a couple of hours. The wire protocols are simplistic,
even trivial." [http://lwn.net/Articles/369885/]

I don't know what other people think but my own experience is that
this view of 0MQ wasn't very helpful except as an early selling point;
we suffered due to the lack of a properly designed protocol, and the
"POSIX socket" API has been clumsy to use and extend.

-Pieter