1. ZeroMQ stores the messages in the memory of the process that is using it
(ZeroMQ is a library).

2. Short answer - have high and low priority socket and poll between the two
favoring the high priority socket. Long answer - it really depends on the
problem. Sometimes its better to solve it using a messaging pattern. For
example, why do you need to prioritize messages? Could it be solved by putting
a device in the middle that then farms out the messages to a bunch of workers?

I would really recommend reading the first few chapters of the guide as it
gives you a good understanding of what ZMQ does and the way you need to think
when using ZMQ.

Joshua