Artem,

This is a problem that every network developer faces. Did my message make it to
its destination? If I send a message, is it likely to make it to the recipient?

Fortunately, there are patterns to use to increase reliability, but even then
there is no way to be 100% sure that when a message is sent, it will flow
across the infrastructure and be delivered with 100% certainty without an
acknowledgement.

You cannot _instantly_ get an indication a server failed — or the associated
infrastructure — unless you have a steady stream of bytes going across the
wire, and they suddenly stop. If you want to know a node went down, you will
need heartbeat messages. There are a few ways to do this.

Please look at the paranoid pirate example and this:

http://zguide.zeromq.org/page:all#Heartbeating

--
Justin Cook