I'm not seeing a version number actually being used in this use case, would
it not be more pertinent to just use --export-symbols which would be OSX
friendly?

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/LD-Version-Scripts.html

Or just using the attributes flags together with Windows based DLL imports
and exports:

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/Exported-Symbols-of-Shared-Libraries.html#Exported-Symbols-of-Shared-Libraries