Looking at the ctx.cpp source, setting of MAX_SOCKETS goes through
clipped_maxsocket() which clips it to "max_fds()-1", where max_fds() is
equal to FD_SETSIZE as returned by zmq::select_t::max_fds(). So your issue
does appear to be related to FD_SETSIZE.

I tried it out again on zeromq4-x 571c668fa2e0b101f607b4c4a34c30da2f174499.

Cross-compile on Linux using MinGW32:
> CPPFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=1024 ./configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32

> grep CPPFLAGS Makefile
CPPFLAGS = -pedantic -Werror -Wall -Wno-long-long -D_REENTRANT
-D_THREAD_SAFE -DFD_SETSIZE=1024 -DZMQ_FORCE_SELECT

Adding the following snippet in one of the source files shows that it does
get picked up.
#if FD_SETSIZE!=1024
#error "FD_SETSIZE wrong"
#endif

If you are compiling directly on Windows and do not want to install MSYS
(using MSYS may yield other quirks!), an alternative to using configure is
to go to the subdir builds/mingw32.
There is a simple Makefile.mingw32 there.
Just run "mingw32-make Makefile.mingw32"
Haven't tried this for some time and it is supposed to be automatically
generated nowadays.