... then, having realizing that it linked against the Ubuntu installed
default version (libzmq3), I re-ran this against libzmq4 and the current
libzmq 'trunk'.  I get no races/issues in libzmq3 or libzmq4, but 4.1
definitely seems to have a problem, in that this test program is triggering
GCC's stack smashing detector, so seems like a 4.1 specific issue mebe?

If I get some time tomorrow, I will try to figure out why (no obvious from
a libzmq call in the backtrace).