Your line is actually getting the size of the pointer to the data, not the size
of the data.  That will always be 4 bytes (in your case) as that’s how big a
pointer is.  On a 64 bit system it will always be 8 bytes.

sizeof void*  is what your size calculation line is doing.  (zmq_msg_data()
returns a void*)