In general the IP address is a bad fit for either "node identifier" or
"application identifier". It assumes that we're working on TCP/IP (or
UDP). If you use this in any serious way, your work becomes tied to
the "one node per box" scale.

Look at a framework like Zyre and you'll see what I mean. Sure, it can
use TCP to interconnect, but it can also use IPC and inproc. A box
doesn't need any network interfaces at all to run a Zyre cluster. You
cannot imagine getting one IP address per node. You can't log,
authenticate, filter, or do anything useful at all with IP addresses.

So Zyre uses UUIDs and short names for nodes.

There are only a few places where IP addresses are useful. One, is in
a classic wire-area client-server network where you want to detect and
report buggy clients or malicious clients. So libzmq does let you
access metadata for messages, and that includes (I think, else we can
add it) the originating IP address. Two, is to block malicious IP
addresses, though it's been argued that is a firewall issue. So, ZAP
passes the IP address to the authenticator and you can trivially
whitelist or blacklist addresses.

tl;dr

1. IP addresses are a poor fit for identity
2. IP addresses don't even exist in many ZeroMQ transports

Meaning, exposing IP addresses to applications by default would lead
us to building systems that were not scalable.

That's the argumentation.

-Pieter