Thanks again Jarek

If I wrap the bind in a try catch I get the following error message:

"Protocol not supported"

I get the same exception thrown on the subscriber whilst trying to
perform the connect().

This therefore probably has something to do with the ZMQ build on my
platform. Do I need to pass any parameters or flags at compile time to
have ZMQ support the protocol? Do I need to change any Windows OS
settings to support this?

FWIW, I've put the VS project here:
https://github.com/JimmyReload/zeromq-snippets

Thanks