> Adding a mutex, even one that is never contended, to the socket will
> essentially triple this (one atomic CAS to acquire the mutex, one atomic
> CAS to put the message on the pipe, one atomic CAS to release the mutex).

This is a bit of a "blue sky" view of the cost of acquiring a mutex. For
the adventurous of spirit, chase down the call path of pthread_mutex
sometime in GLIBC. It is substantially more involved than a single pair of
'lock; cmpxchg' instructions, but it tries really hard to make that the
rough cost of the happy path.