Keep in mind that on Linux an IP address is assigned to a host, not an
interface.  Even if you think you're adding an IP address "to an interface," an
ARP request for that IP address will by default be responded to on all
interfaces.  There is a way to override this behavior -- refer to the
arp_ignore documentation in Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt in the
kernel source.

Patrick