>  (but it is on the criticl path for large messages)

If you were using this approach to encode fields in some general
serialization format, maybe it would make a measurable difference, but it
seems unlikely to do so relative to framing ZeroMQ messages. In the "worst"
case the put|get_uint64 (inlined) call is made once per message part in a
multi-part message to convert 8 bytes (for small frames it stores a single
octet).

See also - http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:37