Ricardo - if you are lucky, there might be a loophole here for you to
exploit with a little lawyering.

"This is my preferred solution although it could break applications
that subscribe multiple times to the same topic and expect to stop
receiving messages only when they unsubscribe the same number of
times.  Although I'm not aware that this behavior is documented
which could mean it isn't really a problem."

Do you know if there is a specific test case for this behavior?  If your
change changes this behavior but does not break the test suite, I believe
it might be accepted.  One of the guiding principals for ZeroMQ development
is, paraphrased, "if you liked it should have put a test around it".  "A
breaking change" is usually interpreted to mean "it breaks the tests" (note
it's the wording Pieter used in his response).  If this behavior is not
documented and it is not tested you should be in good shape, as far as I
know.

Cheers,
Brian