thanks for the input.

protocols are the wrong sort of thing, i think. that would be like saying
another
way to talk about the national highway system is to talk about the driving
rules.
(regardless of how important those rules, and protocols, in general, are.)

after a quick read of teh FMC, the best term might be “compositional structure”,
but thats uglier than communications web (i think).