Lets see if I can explain it. Each socket has its own queue/buffer. This is what is used to track how many messages. PUB/SUB uses a drop approach when its queue gets full. If a subscriber is slow (has a full queue), the publisher continues publishing and does not block. The slow subscriber would then miss all messages until it was able to clear some of its queue.

I don't know much about PGM, but I believe that it just provides more reliability at the packet level so the behavior of PUB/SUB would be the same.

PUSH/PULL block when their queues get full. This puts back-pressure on the producers. Router and Dealers are sockets with a pair of Push/Pull sockets so they behave the same. So if a Dealer is blocked, the router socket would block on send until the dealer can accept.

The correct answer to avoiding queue drops is that you don't. The correct approach is to create you solution that allows messages to drop. There are MANY reasons for messages to drop and it is really just a tradeoff as to what can drop and what performance is required. One simple way to handle dropped messages is to use idempotent messages. The basic idea is that you create messages that contain the most recent state of whatever you need. That way if all previous messages get dropped, you still have all the data needed. In contrast, transactional messages are not able to be dropped.

Idempotent Example:
{1}
{5}
{10}