Indeed, talking to groups of servers + discovery would be the features
I'd want in an OpenSSH replacement.

For crypto, do go for the (native) CurveZMQ route, as in the end it
boils down to placing the public key of your machine on the servers. The
CurveZMQ (and the CurveCP project from which it is basically forked off)
are very neat crypto protocols and, when used correctly, gives pretty
good security.

Also check up on Salt[1], as it can already basically be used as a
distributed OpenSSH replacement.

[1]: https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/