Thanks again, Luca!

For now, I’m going to go with disabling reconnect on the “data” sockets — that
seems to be the best solution for my use case (connecting to endpoints that
were returned by the peer binding to an unspecified (“wildcard”) port — e.g.,
"tcp://<interface>:*" in ZMQ).

This assumes that ZMQ will completely forget about the endpoint if/when it is
disconnected, if it is set not to reconnect.  Otherwise I might run afoul of
ZMQ’s silently ignoring connections to endpoints that it already knows about:
https://github.com/zeromq/libzmq/issues/788
<https://github.com/zeromq/libzmq/issues/788> (e.g., in the case where another
process later happens to be assigned the same ephemeral port).

I’ve done a quick scan of the libzmq code (v4.2.2) and it doesn’t appear that
the endpoint is removed in the case of a (terminal) disconnect.  If you can
confirm/deny this behavior, that would be helpful.  Failing that, I guess I’ll
need to test this in the debugger — any hints on how best to do this would also
be much appreciated.

Regards,

Bill