On Fri, 2017-10-06 at 19:12 +0200, Francesco wrote:
> Hi all,
> just out of curiosity (since I see PF_RING being mentioned), was DPDK
> ever
> took into account?
> My company is now using DPDK for very-fast networking capture (let's
> say in
> 10-40Gbps range) and (very recently) adopted ZMQ for inter-software
> communication (much lower bandwidth)... while zeromq is much more
> friendly
> than DPDK having a ZMQ PUB socket over DPDK would just be awesome :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Francesco

I have :-)

See the second item in the proposed topics for the Hackaton.

We can't use directly DPDK, as it would be a bit mad to implement a
layer 4 protocol from scratch. But TLDK provides a (reduced) TCP stack
built on top of DPDK, which means we can use the existing TCP transport
code with it. Much more feasible for a 2-day hackaton!

I've wanted to experiment with that for a long while now (I'm quite
active in DPDK as well), just never had the time.

Benjamin, PF_RING sounds very interesting as well, please feel free to
add it to the list.

Bear in mind that I started compiling that list just to throw in ideas
that I think would be interesting, so feel free to add as many things
as you like. Then when we are there we can chat and decide what to do
together. We can work on multiple things in groups, etc etc, nothing
fixed in stone.