Hi Stephan, Hi Luca,

thanks for your hints. However I inspected
https://github.com/dasys-lab/capnzero/blob/master/capnzero/src/Publisher.cpp
and
I don't think it's saving from malloc()...  see my point 2) below:

Indeed I realized that probably current ZMQ API does not allow me to
achieve the 100% of what I intended to do.
Let me rephrase my target: my target is to be able to
 - memory pool creation: do a large memory allocation of, say, 1M zmq_msg_t
only at the start of my program; let's say I create all these zmq_msg_t of
a size of 2k bytes each (let's assume this is the max size of message
possible in my app)
 - during application lifetime: call zmq_msg_send() at anytime always
avoiding malloc() operations (just picking the first available unused entry
of zmq_msg_t from the memory pool).

Initially I thought that was possible but I think I have identified 2
blocking issues:
1) If I try to recycle zmq_msg_t directly: in this case I will fail because
I cannot really change only the "size" member of a zmq_msg_t without
reallocating it... so that I'm forced (in my example) to always send 2k
bytes out (!!)
2) if I do create only a memory pool of buffers of 2k bytes and then wrap
the first available buffer inside a zmq_msg_t (allocated on the stack, not
in the heap): in this case I need to know when the internals of ZMQ have
completed using the zmq_msg_t and thus when I can mark that buffer as
available again in my memory pool. However I see that zmq_msg_init_data()
ZMQ code contains:

    //  Initialize constant message if there's no need to deallocate
    if (ffn_ == NULL) {
        _u.cmsg.data = data_;
        _u.cmsg.size = size_;
    } else {
        _u.lmsg.content =
          static_cast<content_t *> (malloc (sizeof (content_t)));
        _u.lmsg.content->data = data_;
        _u.lmsg.content->size = size_;
        _u.lmsg.content->ffn = ffn_;
        _u.lmsg.content->hint = hint_;
        new (&_u.lmsg.content->refcnt) zmq::atomic_counter_t ();
    }

So that I skip malloc() operation only if I pass ffn_ == NULL. The problem
is that if I pass ffn_ == NULL, then I have no way to know when the
internals of ZMQ have completed using the zmq_msg_t...

Any way to workaround either issue 1) or issue 2) ?

I understand that the malloc is just of size(content_t)~= 40B... but still
I'd like to avoid it...

Thanks!
Francesco