Hi Francesco,

I confirm your benchmark using two systems with the same 100 Gbps
Mellanox NICs but with an intervening Juniper QFX5200 switch (100 Gbps
ports).

To reach ~25 Gbps with the largest message sizes required "jumbo frame"
MTU.  The default mtu=1500 allows only ~20 Gbps.  I also tried two more
doubling of zmsg size in the benchmark and these produce no significant
increase in throughput.  OTOH, pinning the receiver (local_thr) to a CPU
gets it up to 33 Gbps.

I note that iperf3 can achieve almost 40 Gbps (20 Gbps w MTU=1500).
Multiple simultaneous iperf3 tests can, in aggregate, use 90-100 Gbps.

In both the ZMQ and singular iperf3 tests, it seems that CPU is the
bottleneck.  For ZeroMQ the receiver's I/O thread is pegged at 100%.
With iperf3 it's that of the client/sender.  The other ends in both
cases are at about 50%.

The zguide suggests to use one I/O thread per GByte/s (faq says "Gbps")
so I tried the naive thing and hacked the ZMQ remote_thr.cpp and
local_thr.cpp so each use ten I/O threads.  While I see all ten threads
in "top -H", still only one thread uses any CPU and it remains pegged at
100% on the receiver (local_thr) and about 50% on the sender
(remote_thr).  I think now that I misinterpreted this advice and it's
really relevant to the case of handling a very large number of
connections.

Any suggestions on how to let ZeroMQ get higher throughput at 100 Gbps?
If so, I'll give them a try.

Cheers,
-Brett.