TL;DR: I you are interested in using 0MQ with the Lua scripting language, this
may interest you, else hit the delete button ;)

Back in 2014 I experimented with using message queues with Lua.  I wrote a Lua
binding for ZeroMQ, an open-source universal messaging library, luazmq, and
mqlua, a program to execute multiple Lua states, each in its own POSIX thread,
communicating using ZeroMQ.  I call these parallel running Lua states nodes.

Both packages have recently been updated and extended, because we started to
use them in production for a large scale, containerized micro services based
application.

Most notably luazmq no longer uses integer constants for flags etc, but strings
which seems to be more Lua'ish.

If you are interested in playing with message queues in Lua, all the code is on
github, but be warned, it currently lacks documentation and meaningful examples
(I plan to add those).

Weblinks:

ZeroMQ, an open-source universal messaging library: https://zeromq.org/
<https://zeromq.org/>
luazmq, a Lua binding for libzmq: https://github.com/arcapos/luazmq/
<https://github.com/arcapos/luazmq/>
mqlua, a Lua environment for parallel running Lua states:
https://github.com/arcapos/mqlua <https://github.com/arcapos/mqlua>
A wiki entry: http://lua-users.org/wiki/MqLua <http://lua-users.org/wiki/MqLua>

I hope to add a complete example, possibly using more Lua modules form
github.com/arcapos <http://gtphub.com/arcapos>, soon.

- mb