Thank you for the answers. I will reply to everyone in this email:

> BJovke: You can send a pointer to your shared_ptr and then the receiver
> should copy construct (it's not an actual copy but a reference) it's own
> shared_ptr from it and forget about this pointer.

But the problem is that the original shared pointer may get destroyed or
replaced before the receiver can make a copy.

> Rodrigo: If you can change the class definition, you could use the seldom
> seen std::enable_shared_from_this.

If I send a pointer to the object, and the original shared_ptr to the object
goes out of scope, the object will be destroyed, and I won't be able to
`std::enable_shared_from_this`.

> Sergei: You should serialize your object on publisher side -> send -> receive
> -> deserialize on subscriber. By object I mean target object on which
> shared_ptr points.

If I serialize a shared_ptr, it won't get copy-constructed, so the reference
count won't increase, and the owned pointer could get freed before any
receivers receive the message.

> Rafal: Don't you think that sending a pointer to a memory is very error
> prone? e.g.: object may be destroyed before the receiver gets a serialized
> copy of shared_ptr as ref_count will not consider the fact that there is an
> instance of pointer in the ZMQ inproc buffer. IMO it would be better to send
> an object identifier which could be used by a receiver to retrieve data from
> some data provider.

Yes that's what I'm worried about. I don't know when to delete the pointer
because I don't know when everyone is done using it. That data provider idea is
my backup plan - if a receiver wants a copy of the data, they send a separate
data request to the publisher (through a separate socket), and the publisher
sends each one a properly-constructed copy of the std::shared_ptr.

> Bill: Your original question implies (but does not state explicitly) that you
> want to use 0mq to send shared_ptr’s to other threads in the same process.
> If that is the case you need to be cognizant of
> (https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/memory/shared_ptr):

Sorry for the confusion, yes it is all the same process. My goal is to have
each subscriber to copy-construct their own copy of the shared_ptr.

> Harald: shared_pointers are thread safe  (not the underlying data). so you
> can copy the shared_ptr to the thread, read the date, and forget about it. no
> need to try some tricks like serialize pointer addresses, you will not
> succeed that way anyway.

The problem is, I cannot just "copy the shared_ptr and forget about it". If it
goes out of scope before any subscribers make a copy, its data will be
deallocated.