Hi Yanone:

My take is that the main question you need to answer is network architecture.
With PUB/SUB over TCP (http://api.zeromq.org/master:zmq-tcp) you may run into
resource scalability issues — e.g., number of sockets, etc. with the number of
subscribers you expect.  (Bear in mind that with PUB/SUB over TCP each
published message needs to be sent individually to each subscriber).

An alternative could be multicast, and ZeroMQ does support PGM protocol with
PUB/SUB (http://api.zeromq.org/master:zmq-pgm
<http://api.zeromq.org/master:zmq-pgm>).  However, I’m not sure if the
underlying PGM protocol would be supported on the network(s) you intend to use
— my understanding is that PGM requires some minimal support from the network
routers/switches.

Another choice could be using UDP, which is supported by the (draft) RADIO/DISH
socket types in ZeroMQ (http://api.zeromq.org/master:zmq-udp
<http://api.zeromq.org/master:zmq-udp>).  UDP is more a “fire-and-forget”
protocol, but it sounds like that would be OK for your use case.

Of course, as with any design, “the proof is in the pudding”.  At the risk of
being Capt. Obvious, you’re prob. going to have to invest significant effort
into being able to test your design at scale.

Hope this helps…

Bill