http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=232925

Muslims sponsor Dalit mass marriage

Express News Service

Ahmedabad, April 22: Mass marriages in a backward community make no
news but if the same is sponsored by minority community members, then
it does make news: because it is not only a sign of social evolvement
but a harbinger of political alliance between them. One such mass
marriage was solemnised on Sunday under the aegis of the Akhil Gujarat
Manav Kalyan Vikas Parishad.

After the chasm that was created between them after the 2002 Godhra
riots, Dalits and Muslims are coming closer once again and such mass
marriages are providing a platform to cement this alliance further.
The one on Sunday saw 21 marriages. The venue was sponsored by Muslim
community leaders of Shah-e-Alam and Danilimda. They also sponsored
the lunch besides gifting some of the 37 household items given to the
brides.

The goodwill gesture comes ahead of the Assembly elections. Though
Maganbhai Makwana, president of the Parishad, denies any political
objective, he took care to invite political leaders to grace the
occasion. "Our objective is to help poor Dalit families marry off
their sons or daughters who are otherwise unable to afford it due to
rising prices," Makwana declares.

But, he agrees that these marriages, solemnised with the help of the
minority community went a long way in strengthening social ties.
"Dalits and Muslims were never allowed to come together by political
parties due to their own interests, but our efforts are sure to
frustrate their designs," said Makwana confidently who has arranged
three such mass marriages in the last four years, totalling 88.

Former Deputy Chief Minister Narhari Amin looks at such marriage
functions as a stepping stone to bridging communal divide besides
creating an atmosphere of general harmony in day-to-day social life.
To him, Gujarat, which has a history of communal strife, this is a
pioneering effort worth emulating in other parts of the country as
well.

"So far, the two communities kept to themselves. This is the first
time that Dalits and Muslims have decided to come together for
community-specific social gathering such as marriage. We have
contributed by donating funds and sponsoring dowry items for the
newlyweds," said Sharif Khan Pathan, a major contributor of the event.

He believes such initiatives will help in building communal harmony.
"We are going to go a step further in the near future when 50 mass
marriages — 25 each from both communities — will be organised," Pathan
said.

--
Subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a BLANK email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: