http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=233690

Dalits-only no more, BSP's higher caste units woo 'Sarva Samaj' in city

Asit Srivastava

Lucknow, April 27: THE Bahujan Samaj Party has formed several
caste-based organisations in the state capital to woo 'general' voters
and steer off its Dalit-oriented image in the ongoing Assembly
elections.

In Lucknow, these caste-based organisations are soliciting support
from Kayasthas, Brahmins, Guptas, Vaishyas and Agarwals — not part of
the party's 'vote bank' till recently. These outfits are seeking votes
under the banner of different bhaichara (brotherhood) banao samitis.

It's a "very clear" concept, said Savita Singh, president of the
Kayastha Bhaichara Banao Samiti. "The BSP wants to emphasise that it
has risen from Bahujan Samaj to the Sarva Samaj. The party is making
an all-out effort to shed its Dalit-centric image in these elections."

These caste-based organisations have got clear-cut roles: garner
support from respective community members.

"Our main responsibility is to tell members of our community about
changes in Behenji's (Mayawati's) policies," Brahmin Bhaichara Banao
Samiti president R L Shukla said. "The party high command has directed
us to project the BSP's new face. We have to tell voters from the
general caste that the party now wants to take up issues concerning
everyone, and that it is no longer confined to giving facelift to only
the Dalit community."

Members of these outfits are conducting door-to-door campaigns and
holding discussions with community members in their respective areas.
"Our discussions primarily revolve around civic and other problems,"
Shukla said. "Once we realise the problems (of a particular locality)
we invite suggestions from our own community to solve the issues.

"These suggestions, along with the problems, are later forwarded to
the party representative of that particular constituency."

He said the exercise brings locals and the representative closer.

Besides garnering support for the party, activists of these community
outfits said the move would open avenues for higher political
participation from the general caste populace. A Gupta, convenor of
Gupta Bhaichara Banao Samiti, said various sections of the general
castes have till date stayed away from politics. "But the BSP's move
will give them an opportunity to claim their share in politics."

--
Subscribe to ZESTCaste by sending a BLANK email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] OR, if you

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: