*NATIONAL CAMPAIGN ON DALIT HUMAN RIGHTS is an Advocacy Platform committed
for Dalit Human Rights at the Grass root, National and International levels.
Dalits In News aims at sensitizing Civil societies, HR Mechanisms and
providing updates of HR violations on Dalits for their Intervention.***

*NATIONAL CAMPAIGN ON DALIT HUMAN RIGHTS***

*NCDHR*

*Dalits In News*

*July 06, 2007*
Med student claims examiners failed him for being Dalit-* **CNN IBN* \
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/med-student-says-examiners-failed-him-for-being-dalit/44171-3.html

*India Inc ready with status report on affirmative action-* Economic Times
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Services/India_Inc_ready_with_status_report_on_affirmative_action/articleshow/2179850.cms
**

* *

* *

*CNN IBN*
Med student claims examiners failed him for being Dalit \
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/med-student-says-examiners-failed-him-for-being-dalit/44171-3.html

*Aasim Khan* <http://www.ibnlive.com/news/author/Aasim+Khan/>

*New Delhi**:* Calling up the Dean to find out about his re-examination is
daily routine for Ajay Kumar Singh.

"I want to find out when will my re-examination happen. I want to know" are
the words that he finds himself repeating daily.

Ajay is a final year student of India's most prestigious medical college,
AIIMS and now he is at the centre of a raging controversy. Ajay is a Dalit
and he believes that's why he has been failed in his final exam.

"They asked me what was my involvement in the Thorat Committee, they asked
me about my involvement in Dalit politics during the viva. How can I expect
them to pass me?" says he.

Allegations of caste bias in the institute are not new, but the authorites
claim that Ajay has a very poor track record.

"This is not the first time he has failed. He has a very bad track record at
AIIMS. Somebody is inciting him to do this," says the AIIMS Faculty
Spokesperson, Shakti Gupta.

However, Ajay says he will not take the re-examination unless it is
conducted by a completely new set of examiners.

Backing him are members of the governing body, considered close to Health
Minister Anbumani Ramadoss.

"The examination process at AIIMS is susceptible to subjective view points
of the faculty. Ajay Kumar Singh should be re-examined by outsiders," says a
member of the governing body of AIIMS, K M Shyamprasad.

The AIIMS administration and the governing body have taken two contradictory
stands on the re-examination of Ajay Kumar Singh, but as this political
standoff continues, the fate of Ajay Kumar Singh hangs precariously in the
middle.

Economic Times

* *

*India Inc ready with status report on affirmative action*

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Services/India_Inc_ready_with_status_report_on_affirmative_action/articleshow/2179850.cms

NEW DELHI: Industry chambers will present a status report on affirmative
action to the government on July 14. The chambers will meet the principal
secretary to the prime minister and members of the co-ordination committee
on affirmative action. The chambers had set targets for 2007 for building
entrepreneurship and supporting higher education of those belonging to
scheduled caste and scheduled tribes.

"We are well on our way to achieving our targets for the calendar year 2007
and in some cases, have exceeded our targets," said a CII spokesperson. With
a target of creating 100 entrepreneurs in the first year, CII has already
identified 200 candidates and is now working on training them and arranging
finance. It has tied up with the Entrepreneurship Development Institute to
train these candidates at seven centres across the country.

About 500 CII member companies have signed a code of conduct mandating
non-discriminatory hiring policies and priority to competent SC/ST
candidates. The chamber has also appointed five ombudsmen to monitor
progress made by member companies on affirmative action.

Ficci is focussing on ensuring SC/ST candidates avail of the quota at the
various industrial training institutes (ITIs). "We have finalised 32 ITIs
where the state government and the industry have come to an agreement on the
upgrade. While 81% seats at ITIs are reserved for SC/STs, these are not used
up. Our endeavour is to get SC/ST candidates to use this quota," said Ficci
secretary general Amit Mitra. There are 110 districts in the country where
SC/STs make up over 40% of the population. Ficci has identified 27 districts
which it will promote as investment destinations in the industry and has
asked the government to support the process by providing fiscal incentives.

Assocham has created the Assocham Foundation for Inclusive Growth of SC/STs
to monitor its efforts in the field. The chamber says it has trained 1,000
people in the last six months in skills like carpentry, sewing and making
footwear. "We will present a list of 360 people to the government out of
those trained who have started their own business," says Assocham secretary
general DS Rawat.

ARUN KHOTE
Secretary- Media
National Campaign On Dalit Human Rights (NCDHR)
8/1, 2nd Floor, South Patel Nagar,
New Delhi-110008
Ph: 011- 25842249 /25842250
0- 9350183802